Friday, March 18, 2011

How do you eat an elephant?


Why, one bite at a time, or course!

One bite at a time is how you eat an elephant, and it's also how you don't get as big as an elephant. It's a matter of choosing which way to go, by eating or no and every bite you do or do not take, counts. And for the last couple days I have done a decent job of saying "no" to bites I don't need or are not good for me.

I have dropped 3.8 lbs in these first 4 days. When you are obese (gulp, I hate that word,) weight can come off relatively easy in the beginning. For me that creates the temptation to slack off or even reward myself with food for the good progress. How twisted is that?? But it is the battle of the mind that I face.

It won't always be this much weight coming off this quickly, and the truth is it's not necessarily actual fat, it could just be the lack of excess food actually in my stomach. But the point is, it does reaffirm I am making better choices and at least moving in the right direction. And like the true eating an elephant analogy, if I am careful and consistent moving in this positive direction, I will eventually reach my goal.

I also realize there is still the spiritual aspect to this battle of mine that needs to be addressed. I am working on the practicals, and even making good choices, but if I don't employ more than my own strength and determination, eventually my shortcomings will stumble me. I know because it has happened before.


Today's weight: 218.8

Today's battles: Right now I am battling the desire for "something sweet."

Today's better choice: I bypassed a snack after work.

Today's defeat: I'm probably going to give in to the urge for the sweet when I'm done blogging here. So my defeat is either in thinking that, or worse, it will be in doing it.

Today's victory: I actually found true hunger for a 2nd day in a row! I was busy clipping and organizing coupons and got hungry enough for a dip in my blood sugar. And when I heated up my left over Chinese, I didn't eat it all, I gave the rest to Victoria.

1 comment: