Thursday, March 17, 2011

Distraction is a good thing

Today was a strangely non food focused kind of day. My obsessive personality was diverted to better pursuits than stuffing my face. I was focused on saving money and earning a little extra cash. I was busy clipping coupons and signing up for Swagbucks. Food wasn't much of an issue at all. In fact at the end of the day my blood sugar dropped because I hadn't eaten much and I got a little shaky and a bit of a headache. It wasn't a good result, but the cause could be viewed as a positive one. Food was not consuming my thoughts.

Distraction can be a very good thing. In fact, in a way it is the perfect way to deal with temptation. The Bible tells us to flee from idolatry, which is what food for me has become, an idol (gulp.) What else would you call it when I go to food for comfort and consolation instead of the Lord? It's idolatry.

The full passage of scripture says:

No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.
Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry.
1 Corinthians 10:13-14

The way of escape is, in essence, distraction. It's moving away from the temptation. But it is not willpower. "I will not focus on food, I will not focus on food, I will not focus on food." All I'm really doing? You got it, focusing on food. What you empty out or take away must be filled or replaced with a better option.

In my case the temptation was food, and the replacement (for today) was thinking about how to take better care of the family finances. It's a small example of a plan of action in battling sin as a whole, move away those things that will drag you down, and move toward Christ and His plan and purpose for your life.

Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. James 4:7


Today's weight: 219.2

Today's battles: Stopping eating my Chinese food at dinner when I was satisfied, before I was full.

Today's better choice: I split a Reese's with Neal instead of eating both peanut butter cups myself.

Today's defeat: I didn't stop eating dinner as soon as I should have, I took a few more bites for the tongue when the tummy was satisfied.

Today's victory: I wasn't food focused at all today, I had other things on my mind and didn't think about food as much, in fact I didn't even keep my food interaction journal today.

No comments:

Post a Comment