Saturday, March 19, 2011

Being intentional

I knew today would be a challenge. We planned on going to lunch and the movies. Jake really wanted some Long John Silver's and we intended to hit the $2 movie and see Yogi Bear. Talk about a food challenge! Our usual trip to the dollar movies mean a stop at the Sweet Factory - you know, where you buy sugar by the pound? Then we'd add a bucket full of popcorn and a gallon of soda to boot.

Instead we planned ahead with a stop at 7-Eleven after lunch and picked up water to share and a tootsie pop for each one. Tootsie Pops are a good movie alternative because they can last long, but are lower in calories than a candy bar. The movie didn't work out though, so instead we wandered around the mall for while, saying "no" to Cinnabon, saying "no" to See's, saying "no" to Popcornopolis, saying "no" to a wide variety of snacks and treats. Instead we made an intentional stop for cupcakes. It was planned.

Food has been a bondage for me for a long time. Never allowing myself to indulge a little perpetuates that bondage. I could start the Atkins diet tomorrow and easily lose 10 lbs a month, I've done it before, and more than once. But when I do Atkins I become obsessed with food, constantly thinking about my next meal and pleasing my palate. Food shouldn't be an obsession in any circumstance, not even for the purpose of losing weight and getting healthy.

Food is fuel, but I believe God also made it to be enjoyed, but it isn't supposed to be idolized. It's more than moderation, it's a matter of proper perspective. It's matter of keeping food in line with my faith, spirit over flesh and Jesus as Lord of all. I have been doing a lot of praying for the Holy Spirit to be my help, and it's working. The Lord is faithful!


Today's weight: 218.8

Today's battles: Eating is a huge part of being social and entertainment for me so a day of hanging out with family meant battling temptation throughout the day.

Today's better choice: We went out for fish and chips for lunch today and I picked lots of the breading off the fish and didn't eat many of my fries. I practiced moderation.

Today's defeat: I totally indulged in a cupcake, which isn't actually a defeat, but I have a 2nd one waiting in the kitchen, and if hunger shows up at all, I will probably indulge. 2 cupcakes might qualify.

Today's victory: I was intentional in my eating today. Even though I enjoyed some less than healthy options, I did my best to practice moderation. Other than the fatty meal and the cupcake, I haven't had anything else to eat today.

No comments:

Post a Comment