Friday, August 31, 2012

Making Every Bite Count

Eating low-carb has both its benefits and its challenges, and sometimes it's a juggling act to work through them.  If someone is eating low carb temporarily for the purpose of weight loss, the key is no cheating, you don't make exceptions in your diet that will thwart your weight loss goals.  On the other hand if you (like I am trying to do) are shifting towards a "low-carb lifestyle" then you have to find the magical balance of the eating choices you need to make without feeling like you have confined yourself to a prison where all cupcakes, ice cream and even most fresh fruits are banned. 

There are some serious pluses to the low-carb diet.  If you are eating the "right foods" (for the diet) you have more freedom in quantity (go for the 14 oz steak over the 10); frequency (yes, you CAN have another snack between meals) and even time (dinner at 9 pm?  No problem!)  On the other hand, if you're looking at low-carb as a method to a shorter term goal, then these are some really bad habits to create. 

But that's not my case.  I am trying to resign myself to the low-carb lifestyle, which means on a somewhat permanent basis I will be saying "no" to the goodies I love-- cupcakes, candy bars, fresh hot bread, NOT a regular part of my future.  No, I will not say "no" to everything, but birthdays will mean a single cupcake rather than a dozen.  It will mean that when I "cheat" or step outside the boundaries of my diet plan, or even when I'm pushing the boundaries a little, it's got to be worth it.

I've been on the diet practicing the low-carb lifestyle for nearly 11 weeks.  I'm deep enough into the ketosis process that I have more leeway in how many carbohydrates I allow into my regular diet.  Over the last few weeks I have had a couple (really small) cookies or a larger handful of popcorn and my blood sugar (ketosis) has not been effected.  I'm realizing I am able to stay in the fat burning process with more carbs in my diet.  Most days I still ail for the 20-30 carb range, but I don't have to keep constant tab (it becomes instinctual) and if I decide to stretch the boundaries, I'm not thwarting my weight loss efforts.

One thing I have learned and determined is when I do take in carbohydrates, especially if I am pushing the limits a little, I want to make every bite count.  Sometimes it means smaller portion, for example, dying for chocolate? I bought a Trader Joe's chocolate bar. The bar itself has is a 12 sectioned chocolate- the WHOLE bar is considered 3 servings (therefore one serving equals 4 sections). There are 10 net carbs in a serving (30 in the whole bar- organic dark chocolate) so rather than eating the whole bar, or even a whole serving, I ate a single square, which comes out to about 2.5 net carbs.  I eat it in very tiny bites, and I let it melt in my mouth rather than chew it.  It makes it last longer, and I eat less and it has a minimal effect on my blood sugar and ketosis. (This is actually a good plan no matter what kind of weight loss program you're on, eat less by eating slower and it's not just fewer carbs, but also calories and fat grams.  This is something I am trying to teach my kids who are not eating low-carb.)

Another important aspect is to find the "lowER-carb" treats that satisfy your cravings. It means a LOT of label reading.  And it means math, like figuring out your net carbs and servings. And it means eating carbs that make it worth it.  If I take a bite of something that has carbs in it and I don't like it, you know what? I don't take a second bite.  And sometimes I spit out the first bite I took.. If it isn't worth it, I don't waste it.  I'm not going to let my goals be hindered by bites that aren't worth it. 

I have a challenge this weekend.  The International Street Fair in Orange, CA starts tonight.  Let's just say it is a tribute to bad eating, 4 good blocks filled with all kinds of delectable delights to the tongue: roasted corn on the cob, gyros, big bratwursts, the biggest and best California rolls. But the biggest treat for me is Loumadkes-- they are the most delicious, indescribable treats. They're SORT OF like pancake balls, but different, smaller, fried (of course) and drenched... I said DRENCHED in this delicious honey based syrup.  Did you hear what I said? Carbs, carbs, carbs, carbs and then more carbs.  There is no carb blocker around big enough or strong enough to counteract the carb level we're talking here. 

So the question?  Is it worth it?  The answer honestly, is, "I don't know." Once a year these treats are available, and they are my absolute FAVORITE.  Could I eat JUST ONE of the balls (that they pile like 20 into a serving?) I don't know.  But I have to decide. If I push aside my carb limits, will I regret it?  Or if I don't will I be sorry I have wait another year to indulge?  I don't know.  There is probably nowhere I can look up the carb content on a (large) serving of Loumadkes.  So I have to decide.  I have to make sure whatever I do, I'm making every bite count.


Below are some "worth it" bites I recommend for someone well into the ketosis process on low-carb.
These treats have only 9 (coffee latte) and 10 (mango or raspberry) net carbs.  
These are some great craving satisfiers, creamy and sweet.



These pants (pictured below) fit tightly when I started the diet. 
I have to look often at photos like these and remind myself exactly why I am doing what I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment