Friday, August 17, 2012

Low Carb Basics - Keto-what?

Ketosis. 

Definition: the abnormal accumulation of ketones in the body as a result of excessive breakdown of fats caused by a deficiency or inadequate use of carbohydrates. Fatty acids are metabolized instead, and the end products, ketones, begin to accumulate. This condition is seen in starvation, occasionally in pregnancy if the intake of protein and carbohydrates is inadequate.

Sounds scary, right?   Well it might be, but focus on this line right here: Fatty acids are metabolized. This is the point of the low carb diet, when you give up carbohydrates, your body begins to metabolize your own stored fat for the energy needed.  And you lose weight. 

Low carb diets are NOT for the thin, they are for the fat.  And if you don't have a wealth of fat stored (that I assume you want to get rid of) then don't do a low carb diet (unless you are living at a healthy "critical carb level" and only slightly in ketosis.)

Wait, slightly?  Yes, slightly, there are LEVELS of ketosis, and for me personally, knowing this is the best gauge for me on how I am doing with the diet.  Sometimes the scale moves slowly and I wonder "Am I doing this right??"   And for me the ability to "pee on a stick" for reassurance works well. 

Below is a picture of "testing for ketosis." Ketostix can be bought at pretty much any drug store.  Reli-On is the least expensive I have found and is carried by Wal-Mart.  Ir's a box of 50 for about $7.00.  How long 50 sticks lasts for you depends on how frequently you test.  I test typically between 3 and 5 times per day, depending how I am eating on a particular day.  The more carbs I'm eating, the more frequently I test to verify they're effect, because being knocked "OUT of ketosis" is actually detrimental to the diet.


Typically I run in the "moderate" range.  The test above was after an entire day at the beach eating very little and getting a lot of exercise swimming in the ocean.  "Eating less, moving more" has the same effect on burning fat as it does on burning calories, so I tested "large" on the ketosis scale.  I was able to eat a few more carbs later for dinner with a smaller effect because of it.  (This is why exercise is good for any diet.)

If your test stick shows any level of positive, from trace to large, you are burning fat and moving in the right direction in your weight loss.  Trace however will create a very small effect.  Trace to small is the "zone" one would want to live in in the maintenance portion of weight loss.  For active weight loss, you want at least small, but moderate to large will show the greatest effect on the scale and in your waistline. 

The important thing to know/ remember about ketosis is you have to commit to the diet. You cannot move in and out of ketosis and have a successful weight loss.  If you are eating the higher calorie, higher fat foods that work and are allowed in a "low-carb" diet and are bouncing in and out of ketosis , you WILL gain weight.  So be careful to resist the temptation to think just a "handful of MnMs" or a "small piece of cake" won't effect you.  In a calorie counting diet you might be able to get away with little slips like that, but in a low-carb diet, you cannot go there.  The good news, once you get past induction, most sugar cravings fade greatly or even disappear. (Your tongue may still crave a treat, but your body will not have the hankering for sugar.)

For me this testing option is one of the best plus sides to low-carb dieting.  I can test myself at any time to reassure myself I am burning body fat and therefore losing weight.  All I have to do is pee on a stick. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment