Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Subtracting carbs

One of the biggest challenges I find in low carb dieting is family meals. In the early part of the diet I typically just go off on my own as far as meals go and don't try at all to eat with the rest of the fam. Sometimes they suffer the consequences though, lots of sandwich nights and frozen pizzas. It gets old quick.
Feeding a family low carb if they aren't eating strictly low carb isn't wise. The meals are often high in fat and calories, which is fine of you're low carb and in ketosis, but not great from a regular diet.
So the key to family meals when I'm dieting is to try to modify for myself subtracting the carbs. Beef stroganoff? Reserve a little meat and mushrooms before adding the sauce and noodle portions and mix a little sure cream in.
I've shared a picture of a family meal this week that I modified. It's not exactly a low day healthy option, but it's a great quick meal before church on a Wednesday night.
I cooked 5 sweet italian sausages as directed on the package. I took 3 whole sourdough rolls and 1/8 of another roll. I buttered the bread and sprinkled it with mozzarella and parmesan and broiled it. In a bowl I warmed about 1/3 cup of spaghetti sauce and spread it on the 3 whole rolls. I put a single sausage on each roll, for the family, dinner is served!
For my low carb option I took the remaining 3 sausages, cut them up, sprinkled them with the mozzarella and parmesan as well and stuck it under the broiler to melt the cheese. Then I serve it in the bowl that I warmed the sauce in so there us just enough to add a little flavor and I serve it with the little piece of cheese bread just to have the taste.
One meal cooked, two different styles, low carb and quick!

No comments:

Post a Comment