Friday, December 7, 2012

A New Low

Today is day 172 of my lifestyle change/ weight loss efforts. It's a big day for me because I actually find myself LOWER on the scale than I did when I lost so much weight two years ago.  I think it's likely that this is the lowest I have been since before my baby girl was born at the end of 2001.  I can't say that without absolute certainty because I wasn't one to weight myself for a lot of years because the numbers were so disheartening, but I do know it's the lowest I have been since my 40th birthday.

It's exciting for me because I have so much more balance in my weight loss this time.  Taking care of my body has its proper place in my life.  When I lost the weight at 40, I honestly think I was teetering on the edge of a midlife crisis.  There was an obsessiveness to the process and it wasn't completely for the right reasons, I was very hung up on how I looked, and who might be looking at me than I was about my overall health and well-being and feeling good.  This time the looking good (or better) is just a bonus, and not a focus.

When I lost all the weight the first time I was obsessively rolling out of bed every morning, every morning, to work out on the Wii Fit.  Morning workouts aren't a problem per se, but I remember a conversation with a friend at one point where I told her, "God will always be there, right now I need to focus on me and my body." Um, what?  Hello, danger!  Danger!  It wasn't very long after that that my weight loss efforts completely fell apart and I began the process of putting back on the 50+ lbs that I gained before this current effort to lose weight and get healthy in God's strength and not my own.  I put those 50 lbs on in 2 years.  I wonder if my friend wasn't praying for my perspective to get right.  If she was, I am grateful because I know I walked right up to and contemplated walking down a very dangerous path.

In that season of my life working out became like an addiction.  I remember finding myself in a hotel gym at 6 in the morning on a weekend trip with my husband because I HAD to work out, HAD TO.  It was compulsive and unhealthy.  I was on a marriage retreat weekend and focusing completely on me.  That's a person I don't want to be.

Am I proud of this weight loss?  Yes, I am. But I refuse to be PRIDEFUL IN this weight loss.  I know it's not about anything other than honoring God in my body.  I know it's by HIS power that I am able to have balance and make good choices, work out when I can, but never before or in lieu of spending time with the Lord.  The only thing I find myself being regimented in these days is spending time with Him.  I don't even roll out of bed without prayer, the Word and or journaling to Him.  And every day I pray, "Lord help me lose the weight, but help me keep it in the right perspective. And NEVER let me become full of myself in the process."

I have been open and shared a lot about this weight loss/ lifestyle change process because I want to encourage others.  With God's help ANYONE can do it.  And if you do it with Him, it is a journey worth taking.  All glory to Him!

As of Day 172 I have lost 50.9 lbs; I've lost 3" in each of my arms; 9" in my chest; 13" in my waist; 9" in my hips; and 5" in each of my thighs.  That's 62 1/2% way to my weight loss goal and a total of 47 inches.  That's less than 6 months, only 24 1/2 weeks, and I feel like a new person.  It took two things, saying "Yes" to God and allowing Him to be Lord of my body, the food I eat, and how I care for myself, and then taking the first step with my hand in His.  It's totally worth it, and again, ALL glory to Him!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment